- Early type of private Jewish farm village in modern Palestine.
Who’s Who in Jewish History after the period of the Old Testament. Joan Comay . 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
JABNEEL — (Heb. יַבְנְאֵל, Yavne el). (1) Town on the northern border of the tribe of Judah between Mount Baalah and the sea (Josh. 15:11). It is identical with the later jabneh iamnia , now Yavneh, between Jaffa and Ashdod. (2) Town on the southern border … Encyclopedia of Judaism
KINNERET — (Heb. כִּנֶּרֶת), moshavah in northern Israel, near the S.W. corner of Lake Kinneret, founded on Jewish Colonization Association (ICA) land in 1909 by settlers from Eastern Europe. The village developed at a slow pace, as the settlers frequently… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
PETAḤ TIKVAH — (Heb. פֶּתַח תִּקְוָה), city in Israel s Coastal Plain, 7 mi. (12 km.) E. of Tel Aviv. In the 1870s a number of observant Jews from Jerusalem decided to become farmers and establish a village called Petaḥ Tikvah ( Gateway of Hope ), after Hosea 2 … Encyclopedia of Judaism
GEDERAH — (Heb. גְּדֵרָה), moshavah with municipal council status (since 1949), in the Coastal Plain of Israel, 8 mi. (13 km.) S.W. of Reḥovot. It was founded in 1884 by young members of the bilu movement from Russia. Gederah was for a long time the… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
ILAI — (end of third and beginning of fourth century C.E.), Palestinian amora. Ilai studied under R. Johanan in Tiberias and frequently transmits sayings in his name (Shab. 5a, et al.). He also studied under R. simeon b. lakish (Shab. 28b, et al.),… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
REḤOVOT — (Heb. רְחוֹבוֹת; Wide Expanses, a name based on Gen. 26:22), city in central Israel, in the Coastal Plain, 14 mi. (22 km.) S. of Tel Aviv Jaffa. Reḥovot was founded in 1890, by First aliyah immigrants from Poland. The land had been bought from a… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
ROSH PINNAH — (Heb. רֹאשׁ פִּנָּה), moshavah in northern Israel, on the slope of Mt. Canaan south of the Ḥuleh Valley. Rosh Pinnah was first founded in 1878 by pious Jews from safed who wanted to live by their own means instead of by Ḥalukkah . They named… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
BET YERAḤ — (Heb. בֵּית יֶרַח), large Canaanite city on the shore of the Sea of Galilee extending over a tell of approximately 50 acres, from the site of the present day moshavah kinneret , to the outlet of the jordan river from the lake near deganyah . This … Encyclopedia of Judaism
GAN YAVNEH — (Heb. גַּן יַבְנֶה), town in the coastal plain of Israel, southwest of yavneh . The municipal council area is 4 sq. mi. (10.5 sq. km.). It was founded as a moshavah in 1931 by a Zionist group, the Aḥuzah society in New York, most of whose members … Encyclopedia of Judaism
KEFAR TAVOR — (Heb. כְּפַר תָּבוֹר; initially better known by its Arab name Mesḥah), moshavah at the foot of Mt. Tabor, Israel, 10½ mi. (17 km.) N.E. of Afulah, founded in 1901 by the jewish colonization association as one of the villages based on the settlers … Encyclopedia of Judaism